Soundproofing ceilings in flats with Oscar Iso-Mount
Building Regulations Document E sets minimum standards for soundproofing residential buildings in England and Wales. While these ensure that conversions and new builds comply, the standards unfortunately don’t apply to existing dwellings, leaving hundreds of thousands of previously built properties with poor sound insulation. Your neighbours may not even be particularly noisy, but due to the way most homes have been built, poor sound insulation and how sound travels between floors, you can still hear them.
The Oscar Iso-Mount range is the ideal solution for soundproofing ceilings in flats, as it exceeds the requirements set in Document E for airborne and impact sound.
For cost-effective and space-saving soundproofing ceilings in flats, consider Iso-Mount: a professional-grade noise insulation system that works by creating an isolated floating ceiling that significantly reduces the vibrations and sound pressure waves caused by noise in the flat above.
The Iso-Mount Type1 and Type2 acoustic hangers are designed to achieve outstanding acoustic performance with fast and easy installation on any type of ceiling. Type1 is designed for timber joist ceilings and achieves minimum ceiling height loss. Type2 allows for installation where plasterboard ceilings cannot be removed, e.g.under concrete or in listed buildings.
Why use Iso-Mount for soundproofing ceilings in flats?
- Minimum ceiling height loss with Type1 (as little as 6mm).
- Achieved a fire rating of up to 90 minutes for the test configuration at BRE.
- Exceeds compliance with British building regs Document E for airborne & impact sound.
- Adjustable height enabling flat ceilings across uneven joists.
- All work is carried out from the flat below so permission is not needed from the flat above.
- The installation of the soundproof ceiling is within the capability of a competent DIY person.
Soundproofing ceilings in flats - How does it work?
Two factors are fundamental to the success of soundproofing ceilings in flats:
- Break the path of vibration between ceiling and floor above with Iso-Mount acoustic hangers.
- Absorb the sound pressure passing through the void with a high density acoustic absorber packed into the space without gaps: we recommend our acoustic absorber insulation for larger areas of 100m2 plus Celbar recycled loosefill cellulose fibre. Celbar is a better insulator than glass fibre and doesn’t have the irritating itch.
Soundproofing ceilings in flats UK testimonials
"Ceiling is complete. I've tested it by powering up a loud DeWalt router in the garage and seeing how loud it is in the room above.
WOW. Can hardly hear it...It really was much quieter than I thought it would be. I can finally use the workshop in the evening when the kids are asleep in the room above. I'll admit not having done it before I was unsure if it would deaden the noise enough for power tools...but I am blown away by how well it works.
Thanks again for your help - much appreciated."
Home DIY installer
“The whole transaction has been simple and easy. I fitted the ceiling this weekend and it’s made an instant difference. So much so that I had to ask the owner of the flat above if he had been using the room above. I will recommend the product to my friends and will use it on other ceilings in my flat. Keep up the good work!”Jim Hood
How much sound will an Iso-Mount soundproof ceiling eliminate?
Acoustic testing has shown that a significant failure of Building Regulations Approved Document E can be turned into an easy pass. Independent testing on a house (ref 19 Wilberforce Road) showed that resistance to airbourne sound (speech, music etc.) increased by 23dB DnT, + Ctr and impact sound insulation increased by 24dB LnT,w; a significant and worthwhile difference.
The installation of the Iso-Mount soundproof ceiling easily complied with the stringent requirements of the 2010 Building Regulations Approved Document E for Airbourne and Impact Sound.
Contact us for soundproofing ceilings in flats UK
For more information regarding soundproofing ceilings in flats call us direct on 01474 854902 or fill in our contact us form and a member of our friendly team will get back to you as soon as possible.
For orders outside of mainland United Kingdom, please contact us before purchasing online to receive a quote for delivery.
Soundproofing ceilings in flats article by D.Mack of Oscar Acoustics.