How to soundproof a ceiling using high performance & space saving Iso-Mount
When noise from above is the problem, the Iso-Mount soundproof ceiling range offers professional-grade noise insulation between floors. Ideal for any space from residential to commercial, new build to refurbishment, the British made soundproof ceiling system works by creating an isolated ceiling that significantly reduces vibrations and sound pressure waves caused by noise in the rooms above.
This page shows how to soundproof a ceiling using our Iso-Mount Type1 system. A fully isolated, floating soundproof ceiling is now possible with as little 6mm ceiling height loss. All the work is carried out from the room below by a local builder or competent DIY person, so your noisy upstairs neighbours never need to know.
Iso-Mount soundproof ceiling advantages:
- Class leading acoustic performance
- Achieves (better than), compliance with British building regs Document E
- Uses a standard clip-on steel channel that is widely available from several manufacturers
- Easier and faster than installing products on the floor of the room above
- Fast and simple clip together soundproof ceiling installation
- Appears no different to a standard plastered ceiling once completed
How to soundproof a ceiling
- First of all, find the lowest point of the lowest joist as a reference to ensure level insulation. Mark the beam a maximum of 100mm in from the wall to locate the first bracket. Then mark the bracket positions on the sides of the joists – evenly spaced – at 3 per square metre. Each mount has a maximum point loading of 18kg so each square metre can have up have up to 54kg of loading capability which is more than adequate for most domestic ceilings.
- Next fix each bracket with a minimum of two screws fixed diagonally. Make sure they’re correctly aligned and avoid pipes and cables. Once they’re secured and the levels are checked, you can move onto the channel clips.
- Starting with the end, slide or clip the channels onto the mounts. They run parallel to the joists so you can fix the Iso-Mounts high on the joist which will reduce ceiling height loss.
- Then, attach our foam self-adhesive strip around the line of the ceiling. This will prevent the ceiling boards from directly touching the walls, creating a noise path. Once this is done, screw the boards onto the channel clips. You can use standard 12mm gypsum boards with no special acoustic properties. Push the outer boards to compress the foam strip against the wall.
- Seal the boards with Oscar’s acoustic sealant. Once the boards have been fixed, it’s time to install the loose fill cellulose.
- Cut some small discus from the board. Then fill the void using Celbar, an environmentally friendly, non-itchy, flame retardant and recyclable filler. This can be done by hand, but we do have specialised machines that can speed things up. This will provide outstanding noise and thermal insulation. Once this is complete, replace and seal the discs that were cut out and fix a second layer of gypsum board.
- A qualified electrician should check if downlighters require hoods and that electrical wiring in the ceiling void is of adequate capacity to handle the high thermal insulation given by Celbar insulation.
Follow these steps on how to soundproof a ceiling to restore the peace in your home.
Soundproof ceilings for timber joist or concrete ceilings
Iso-Mount Type2 expands the versatility of our soundproof ceiling range. The Iso-Mount Type2 can fix under existing ceilings without disruption, directly or with extensions for 50mm to over 1 metre voids for acoustic/thermal insulation and services.
Type2 fix under existing concrete & timber joist ceilings with just one fixing saving time & money.
Extensions are also available for deeper voids.
Iso-Mount soundproof ceiling reviews
"I did not fully appreciate at the time, but the use of Iso-Mount with industry standard metal channel was a huge bonus and cost saver. Also, we did not appreciate how much time and money we saved using the adjustable Iso-Mounts to level the uneven joists. Now installed the ceiling is superb and flat as a pancake. In terms of acoustic isolation the system is superb and overall I couldn’t be more pleased with the end result. The Iso-Mount system is a brilliant way to isolate between floors. I recommend it very highly."
Oscar Iso-Mount customer
"Soundproof ceiling is complete...
I've tested it by powering up a loud DeWalt router in the garage and seeing how loud it is in the room above.
WOW. Can hardly hear it...It really was much quieter than I thought it would be. I can finally use the workshop in the evening when the kids are asleep in the room above. I'll admit not having done it before I was unsure if it would deaden the noise enough for power tools...but I am blown away by how well it works.
Thanks again for your help - much appreciated."
Home DIY installer
“The whole transaction has been simple and easy. I fitted the ceiling this weekend and it’s made an instant difference. So much so that I had to ask the owner of the flat above if he had been using the room above. I will recommend the product to my friends and will use it on other ceilings in my flat. Keep up the good work.”
Home DIY installer
Purchase Iso-Mount for soundproof ceilings
Delivery available throughout the UK. For outside the UK please contact us for details.
- Oscar Iso-Mount Type1, Type2 & Type3 for soundproof ceilings
- Oscar Foam Roll - acoustic edge foam
- Oscar Seal - acoustic sealant
- Celbar - acoustic insulation for larger areas of 100m2 plus
*The Iso-Mount soundproof ceiling range uses a widely available standard clip-on steel channel. Oscar Acoustics do not stock steel channel so you can save money by purchasing required amount directly from manufacturers. We found it online for as little as £0.88 per metre!
Other components are purchased from your local stockist.
Our Iso-Mount soundproof ceiling systems can be installed by a competent DIY person, builders and in many areas we can recommend installers.
Enquire about your local Oscar approved soundproof ceiling installer.
Apply to become an Oscar approved soundproof ceiling installer.
Important safety information:
- Only competent persons fully conversant with the use of personal protective equipment should carry out the floating ceiling installation.
- Consult the manufacturers of the plaster board for fixtures to be fixed directly to the plasterboard.
- Use fastenings as recommended by the plasterboard manufacturer.
- Celbar loose fill void insulation (as recommended), is also an excellent thermal insulator. Bring this to the attention of your qualified electrician who may have to allow for heavier cables and ventilation gaps around down lighters, (too be avoided if possible as this will allow sound through).